Recently we published a guide for cleaning your shoes. But that is different from actually polishing your shoes. Read the full article about How to Shine Shoes.
It is not just about cleaning your shoes after a festival or party, and they have to shine. Your leather derbies or Suede shoes are the keys to your outfit. We still see it too often that a man has made the right choice in terms of his clothing, but misses the mark by wearing worn-out shoes. That is why, with this: you polish your leather shoes like a real guy.
How to Shine Leather Shoes?
Leather shoes are a very stylish addition to your outfit. Every man should have a couple in his wardrobe. An additional advantage of these shoes is that they can last a lifetime, provided you take good care of them. That is why we give you tips to ensure that your leather shoes remain in top condition and that you can always shine.
A key element in the care of leather shoes is excellent shoe cleaning. For formal occasions, a pair of carefully shiny shoes is an absolute must. Only this little detail can give your outfit more cohesion and a real feeling.
When you give your shoes a good shine, they look good and extend their lifespan. By learning how to shine shoes properly, you no longer have to be afraid to buy a pair of quality shoes.
How to Shine Shoes at Home?
The Essential Shoe Cleaning Utensils:
- Shoe polish: You can take care of smooth leather shoes with colorless shoe polish. But the advantage of colored shoe polish is that the color removes any minor damage to the leather. Not sure about shoe polish color? Preferably choose a shade lighter than your shoes. [See also: How to Remove Shoe Polish?]
- Polishing cloth: It is best to use flannel; if not, you can use an old T-shirt; if you want to get better results.
- Clean rag: You'll use this to clean your shoe and wipe off excess polish
- Horsehair polishing brush: Be sure to use a horsehair brush, because its soft hair will not brush the shoe skin; if you use a pig hairbrush with a hard nose, it is likely to scratch the surface when brushing the shoe
- World brush: With this smaller brush, you can remove dirt from the edge strip and apply polishing agents in hard-to-reach places. You can use an old toothbrush. Also, read the uses of an old toothbrush.
- A cup of water: for a "spit finish."
How to Polish Shoes to a Mirror Shine
Please bring all of your materials together, so they are close to you. You can cover the surface you're working on with a towel or newspaper, as the shoe polishing process may get messy.
Shoe Shining Tricks
Step 1: Remove Laces
Remove the laces to prevent them from being polished.
Step 2: Fill Your Shoe
Then insert the shoe support into the shoe to fix the shape of the shoe, which not only makes it easier to wipe but also avoids the surface creases caused by too much force when the pump is polished
Step 3: Clean Dust and Dirt
Use a horsehair brush to sweep away the dirt on the skin, especially pay attention to the dirt on the shoe's seam.
Step 4: Apply Polish
Squeeze a small amount of polish on the cloth, and then wipe the shoe surface in a circular motion until the surface begins to appear shiny. The folds of many leather shoes are mainly dry and can be divided into several times. Apply multiple layers of polish to restore their moisture, but avoid applying a lot of polish in one go.
Step 5: Don't Forget the World
Use the cleaning brush or a toothbrush to apply polish to the piping, heel, and other neglected areas. Let the paint dry for about 10 minutes.
Step 6: Wipe
If you want to wipe out the effect faster, you can use stockings to clean the shoes, because the materials are denser, the shoes will be brighter
Step 7: Spit Shine
Finally, use shoe wax to polish and wax leather shoes. You need to prepare a small amount of clean water, soak a minimal amount of freshwater to make the fabric slightly moist, and then apply the shoe wax. Apply a thin and even coating on where you want to polish and polish, and then polish the leather shoes in a circular pattern. You can add water and wipe again halfway until the shoe surface forms a bright surface.
But do not use excessive shoe wax, because the leather surface can not absorb shoe wax, nor breathable, too much will affect the appearance.
Step 8: Dry and Lace Again
Let your shoes dry for 10 to 20 minutes. As soon as they are scorched, lace up your shoes again. If you want to liven up your favorite shoes, add a few colorful laces or a new lacing style.
Wear your shiny new shoes with pride. We recommend that you shine them once a week, depending on the wearing frequency. [Must Read: How to Get Smell Out of Shoes]
If you only wear your evening shoes occasionally, we recommend that you shine them once a month or the night before you wear them. You will be surprised how long the shoes will last if you take good care of them.
Additional Tips and Tricks for Shoe Care
Follow these tips and tricks to keep your shoes looking new for longer.
- Place shoe trees in your shoes to keep their shape between the garments.
- When putting on your shoes, always use a shoehorn. This significantly increases the life of the heels by preventing the heel structure from bending and deteriorating.
- Regular application of water and stain protection can also protect the leather from the elements.
- If the leather of your shoes is dehydrated and scuffed, use shoe conditioning to keep them healthy.