Smelly shoes can be unpleasant. You take off your shoes, and suddenly the room is filled with a nasty stench. If there are several people in the room, it becomes easily embarrassing. So you are very curious about How to Get Smell Out of Shoes.
Thankfully, there are several effective ways to avoid bad odors in the shoe and get rid of the smell if it has already occurred. We have gathered here our best tricks to keep the shoes fresh on the inside.
That’s Why Shoes Smell Bad
Have you noticed that some shoes start to smell bad faster than others? What causes bad odors in your shoes is a combination of sweat and bacteria. We all have a certain amount of bacteria on us, naturally. These bacteria help keep harmful bacteria and other invaders at a distance.
During the day, you always sweat a little, even on your feet. Your feet have around 250,000 sweat glands. If the shoes are tightly closed, the sweat stays in the pump until you remove them. Therefore, some shoes tend to smell worse than others.
When sweat and bacteria come into contact, the bacteria begin to break down the sweat. The effect is that various forms of smelly acid are formed in the shoes. Disgusting!
But how to get rid of the odor in shoes? Here are six valuable and straightforward ways to get rid of the disgusting smell for good.
How to Get Smell Out of Shoes
How to remove odor from shoes? Sometimes, some shoes' inner skin retains sweat more intensely, and it is challenging to soften it. This can be a big problem in our daily life.
Do not worry. In this article, we share the best tricks to solve this problem definitively. You can do it with some homemade ingredients and in a straightforward way. Try them out!
6 Tricks to Remove Bad Odor From Shoes
1. Baking soda
To eliminate the stench from shoes without washing them, you can use baking soda: sprinkle the inside of the shoe with two tablespoons of baking soda and leave it to act overnight.
Then remove the dust in the morning with a special brush: the baking soda will also remove stains.
Alternatively, you can use corn starch, another effective remedy against bad shoe odors: in this case, too, sprinkle it in the shoes and leave it on overnight before removing it.
Even the vinegar is particularly effective against the stench of shoes: wet a cloth with white vinegar and rub it inside the shoes: in case of persistent bad smell, you can also use a mixture of vinegar and alcohol in equal parts. Vinegar will help to eliminate even difficult dirt from shoes.
Talcum powder works in the same way as baking soda. They have the virtue of absorbing humidity and thereby silencing the bad smell. In this case, you have two options:
- Apply a little talcum powder to each shoe and allow them to spend the night like this. In the morning, we can remove the rest of the powders.
- Apply talcum powder to the sole. In this way, we limit the sweating caused by the bad smell of the shoes.
3. The trick to Kill Bacteria
This tip is as curious as it is useful. For this, we will always need to have at home a little sage and lavender. These aromatic medicinal plants help combat bad odors and aromatize in a very delicate and relaxing way.
How do we do it?
- Apply a few sage leaves and some lavender branches to each shoe.
- Then leave the shoes on the balcony so that the fresh air also eliminates bacteria.
- In the morning, we will have shoes free of bad odors.
4. Orange, Lemon, or Grapefruit
Another straightforward remedy is to use the peel of lemons, oranges, or grapefruits. The peeling of citrus not only provides a very characteristic smell, but it can also be a homemade trick for this problem.
Citrus peelings would help to remove bad odor from shoes. For this, we will follow the same method as with the previous ingredients:
- Put the citrus peelings in the shoes.
- Let it act all night.
Tea tree essential oil is the most effective formula. You can find it in natural stores and herbalists. It is inexpensive and can remove bad odor from shoes and make practical hand sanitizing gels.
How do we do it?
- Apply 3 to 5 drops to the insoles of the shoes twice a week.
- In this way, we will remove the odor and eliminate the bacteria.
6. Look for the Original Cause of the Bad Smell
We all know that the bad smell of the shoes is due to the sweat on our feet. But sometimes, surely you have noticed that there are shoes that smell more than others. Perhaps it is due to the insoles that absorb more sweat and retain it, which favors bacteria's appearance.
Other times, it may be due to some hormonal disorder that a specialist in the subject must evaluate.
If you notice that the shoes' bad smell does not disappear quickly, you should change the insoles regularly. If you can't do it, use special ones that protect you from bad odor and bacteria. Be aware that long-term odor can cause foot problems.
How to Maintain Good Hygiene in Your Shoes
Finally, we teach you how you must maintain proper hygiene to avoid bad odor from your shoes:
- Try not to wear closed shoes every day. It is terrible for the health of our feet and promotes an awful smell.
- When you get home, change shoes and let those shoes air out. [See also How to Dry Shoes Fast]
- It doesn't matter if the shoe is of good quality. They all absorb the terrible smell. Hence, we must maintain good cleaning of them. You can use a damp cloth with detergent and brush them every day.
- Apply talcum powder if the sole sweat excessively. It is a simple remedy that helps us a lot daily.
Thanks for reading the full article. I think now you know how to get the smell out of shoes. If you find this article helpful and think it will help your friends and family, please don't forget to share it!
You may also like: